Wednesday, December 2, 2009

We Need a Little Christmas Right this Very Minute

I know I get pretty serious on this blog. So I wanted to share a nice story, especially now that we've entered the holiday season.

Today I received a letter from a young woman. For her 8th grade confirmation, her parents gave her the gift of money that she could use to donate to a charity of her choice. She wrote that she went through a long process to narrow down the charity that she wanted to donate to. She chose NCCF because she liked the fact that we strive to help young adults with cancer. She felt the "Waeger Will Win" attitude really makes a difference. So she and her family donated $400 to our cause.

I was really touched by this. First, I was impressed that her parents used what could have been an opportunity to give her an ipod or other material item as a way to teach her the benefits of being charitable at a young age. Second, that she came to the decision on her own after giving it a lot of thought. And third, and not last, that she chose NCCF.

I admit, I can be a little cynical sometimes. But receiving this letter and donation was just a wonderful gift that reflects the spirit of the season. And reminds me, and hopefully us, that Dan's message is still powerful.

So thank you Veronica!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great story Meg. Cheers to Veronica! It shows how powerful Dan's message is and will continue to be.

Sergio

Anonymous said...

That is so great Meg...and yes Dan's message still lives on today and will continue for a long time to come! Happy Holidays!
Karin Geraci

Anonymous said...

Meg,
That is such a touching story. I think it teaches us all that sometimes we need to get our priorities in check. Hope to see you at some point over the holiday's. We'll be thinking of you as always.

Love,
Sarah