Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rocky

We went to the Philadelphia Eagles vs. Washington Redskins game on Sunday. It was good to see my sister, brother-in-law, and nieces. Although the Eagles lost, the game was exciting and the weather was perfect.

The thing that sticks out most in mind, however, was during a timeout. Sylvester Stallone, or Rocky Balboa, came onto the jumbotron. With his hands taped and cut-off shirt looking like he just beat the Russian for the 2nd time, he said, “It’s not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up.”

This couldn’t be more true regarding life with cancer. The very nature of chemotherapy is to knock you down. To beat the crap out of you. To bring you to submission in hopes of killing off the bad cells. Emotionally, cancer does the same thing. It knocks you down. The emotional toll is a lot, not just on me, but on my family, friends, and even more so for Meg. No one or nothing can prepare you for it. You get knocked down again and again. You just have to keep getting back up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That "Rocky" message sure was screaming with meaning for you, Dan.
Of course, you got it, and will use it which is a sign of a sure winner. Go Rocky! Paula

Anonymous said...

Dan

Reading your latest post and its reference to likely unpleasant effects of chemo raises the question -- Are you now experiencing discomfort from the new regime of chemo? I hope things are tolerable in that regard. I look forward to seeing you at the tournament if not sooner.

DTB

Bob Waeger said...

"yo, Adrianne!"
Keep fighting the fight!
Abe Lincoln also has a similar story. Wasn't Grandma's husband called Abe? maybe there is something there..
when you need a shoulder to rest on, call me. fighting is not easy, and neither is getting up, so let me know when you are having trouble, and i will help.

BDUB

Unknown said...

I just had to sit through the Rocky marathon two weekends ago. It brings new meaning to having to watch Rocky 1, 2, 3, and 4 back to back. Seriously though, I am also wondering if you are feeling more of an impact from the chemo and how you both are coping. Like everyone else on here has said, if you need someone to lean on or talk to, I am here (maybe not in the literal sense, as for the lean on part because I am a bit geographically undesirable) but I am only a phone call or plane ride away. I hope you both are doing as well as can be expected and glad you got to Philly this past weekend. Gotta love the NFL!!
Love
Dana