Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fancy Pants Thursday

Thanks to my better half, I'm sporting some cool blue pants today that were on sale from JCrew along with a hot looking belt! In the picture is my co-worker, Lisa, and I. We both work for the National Coaltion for Cancer Survivorship. http://www.canceradvocacy.org/

To mention a little bit about work, NCCS is the oldest survivor-led cancer advocacy organization in the country, advocating for quality cancer care for all Americans and empowering cancer survivors. We believe in evidence-based advocacy for systemic changes at the federal level in how the nation researches, regulates, finances, and delivers quality cancer care. We have a legislative advocacy network that engages constituents across the country in federal cancer-related issues.

For the most part in this blog, we will attempt to leave religion and politics out of it. Cancer is a bi-partisan issue and affects everyone.

However, a fellow co-worker and long time cancer survivor said this, "This Friday, August 1 is 8/1/08. I know that doesn’t mean anything to you necessarily (given that I'm Catholic), but it does to me. In Jewish mysticism (Kabbalah), numbers have great significance. The word for "life" in Hebrew is "chai." The two Hebrew letters that make up the word "chai" are chet and yud. When looking at the numerical value of Hebrew letters, chai is equivalent to 8 and yud is equivalent to 10. So "chai", chet and yud together, equals 18."

I guess I'm telling you this b/c I do appreciate the comments and well wishes. Since I’m not symptomatic and I don’t have or feel a physical manifestation of the cancer, it is really just a mental battle right now. That to me lies the fight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan

I had a hard time connecting the dots with regard to the mystical meaning 8-01-08, but I presume that your upsoming testing will provide encouragement.

Regard from DTB (that's short for future father-in-law)

PS: As a non-blogger, this a new skill to learn

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,

I love the fact that you know the word "chai" and its meaning.

On Aug. 5th, John and I are flying to Israel to visit my family and friends. We will make sure to bring you back a popular charm, a silver "chamsa" (good-luck hand) with a "chai" engraved on it. Many people wear them in Israel.

We are thinking of you, and we wish you a successful day tomorrow.

Love,

Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan and Meg,

My thoughts/prayers are with you. I hope everything goes well today (Friday).

On another note, I missed out yesterday on fancy pants day! You should have told me...I wore boring jeans. (We get to wear jeans any day of the week during the summer.) Thanks to you and Lisa for including me in the rap efforts! haha. The boss is really the rap-master though. I hope she rapped her way out the door yesterday.

How far is it from New York to WWW tourney? I'll be in Yonkers, NY on the 25th--could I come by on my way back to DC? We'll talk.

Hope to catch up soon. We should grab burgers or something. Plus I'd like to meet Meg again, because the first time it was only for about a minute.

Later,
TD

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
Just stopping in to say "Hello". I am a friend of your Mom's and she directed me to your blog. You must have acquired her strength since she was able to overcome so much adversity with her health. Have faith and hope because when it comes down to it, isn't that what it is all about no matter what comes our way!!!!! Through my life and over almost 40 years of health problems, I believe that sometimes trials come our way so that we can reach out to others and they can learn through our life's experiences. Exactly what you are doing. God bless,
Susan from New Cumberland PA